This position handles complex and specialized secretarial and clerical support activities related to the specific work and function of the timekeepers to whom they are assigned. Corporate experience is required. Must be able to handle many priorities at one time and possess excellent customer service and communications skills. A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word are required.
- prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts, format briefs, pleadings and other legal documents
- transcribe dictation
- file legal documents
- screen telephone calls, as appropriate and record messages
- maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems, make appointments
- make travel arrangements
- complete expense reports
- open new file request, conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintain client and general files. Conduct periodic review of possible storage or older files; prepare files to be closed
- receive clients and visitors; maintain good public relations with clients
- observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship
- complete time charges
- process bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills
- work closely with administrative support
- ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g. punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters. Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent
- ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation
- ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete then under time constraints
- ability to proofread typed materials for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors
- demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft software
- interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively froma diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact
- approximately one or tow years on the job experience necessary in order to gain an understanding of law office policies and procedures and produce accurate legal documents with minimal supervision
Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain while producing a high volume of information performing other essential duties
When pre-approved by supervisor, work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
McDonald Hopkins does not currently accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or headhunters.